A street works licence is required when placing apparatus, inspecting, maintaining, adjusting, repairing, altering or renewing apparatus, changing the position of apparatus or removing it. Streetworks is required when breaking up or opening the street, or any sewer, drain or tunnel under it, or tunnelling or boring under the street.